Friday, January 30, 2009

Teaching and Learning : My experience (1)




Learning experiences are trials and observations through which people gain knowledge and form opinions that help them along throughout their life's journey .I will share two experiences that have shown me that teaching and learning take motivation and patience .Learning also has its obstacles but the task of teaching is one that wieghs heavy in its responsibilities.

I have been studying a second language for a year , during this time I have had two teachers .The first of them was a qualified teacher whom I feel did not have the right intention, I dont feel that she had the desire or intent of teaching so that I would learn and understand. My teacher started off very diligently at first ;but shortly after she began coming late to class , she began missing days without making them up. The classes that were two hourslong were shortened to an hour and a half. Her lessons were never prepared and she often gave me incorrect information.What was interesting though, was when pay day drew near ;she came to class on time and appeared interested in her teaching ,but then after bieng payed she went back to bieng late and missing classes .

I felt that this teacher's focus was only on the financial gians , she saw teaching as an oppurtunity to make money only and not as a responsibility that takes time and preparation.She did not realize, I felt; that a teacher has to sacrifice in order to ensure that his or students learning. I felt that my teacher made no sacrifices , she did not take the extra time to explain things in depth if it went over the lesson duration, I was not given assignments unless I requested it . Neither was I tested regularly to measure my progress. As a result of feeling that my teacher was not interested in my learning, I became uninterested and therefore I did not study or pay attention during class time.

From this experience I have come to believe that a teacher must first have a desire to teach , he /she must want to see their students excell in learning what is bieng communicated . A teacher must not only see teaching as a job , but as a job that carries great responsibilities . A teacher is a possessor of knowlegde and his / her job is to impart that knowledge in a way that it can be understood to his/ her students. At the end of the day , that student should be able to impart that knowledge to someone else .I feel that a teacher who shows interest in his or her students becomes a source of motivation for his/her students.

No comments:

Post a Comment